As per the Civil Aviation Act No.14 of 2010, aerodromes other than exclusively used by Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF) shall be licensed.
Written request by the aerodrome operator to the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) along with applicable fee shall be made for the purpose of issuing of the license.
Procedure for the issuance of aerodrome license
- An applicant shall apply to the Director General of Civil Aviation for an aerodrome License (Form No -CAA/AF/005) requesting to authorize the applicant to operate an aerodrome at the place specified in the application. (Click here to visit Applications)
- The application must be in the form prescribed by the Director General of Civil Aviation and shall include the Aerodrome Operations Manual for the aerodrome.
- Before granting an aerodrome license, the Director General of Civil Aviation must be satisfied by the Aerodrome Operator that:
- The aerodrome facilities, services and equipment are in accordance with the standards specified by the Director General of Civil Aviation;
- The aerodrome's operating procedures make satisfactory provision for the safety of aircraft;
- The Aerodrome Operations’ Manual prepared for the applicant’s aerodrome contains all relevant information and an acceptable safety management system is in place at the aerodrome;
- The applicant operates and maintains the aerodrome according to the applicable procedures.
- The license will be granted after verification for satisfactory compliance by the operator.